Browser + local Python-based web server vs. wxPython

python at bdurham.com python at bdurham.com
Mon May 5 10:22:59 EDT 2008

I'm looking at rewriting some legacy VB applications and am pondering
which of the following techniques to use:

1. Browser based GUI with local web server (Browser +
wsgiref.simple_server) (I'm assuming that simple_server is class I want
to build from for a local web server)

-OR-

2. wxPython based GUI

My thought is that a browser/local web server setup may be more portable
to mobile environments than wxPython and may offer a way to scale a
single user offline application to a multi-user online application using
a remote vs. local web server. Some groups of users may feel more
comfortable with a browser based interface as well.

I'm looking for feedback from anyone that has pondered the same question
as well as any pros/cons or tips from anyone that has chosen the
browser/lcoal web server route.

Thanks,

Malcolm