Python and Flaming Thunder

Dave Parker daveparker at flamingthunder.com
Tue May 13 12:36:28 EDT 2008

> ... there's something that feels very unnatural about writing English as code.

I think it is ironic that you think Flaming Thunder is unnatural
because it is more English-like, when being English-like was one of
Python's goals: "Python was designed to be a highly readable language.
It aims toward an uncluttered visual layout, using English keywords
frequently where other languages use punctuation."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_(programming_language)#Syntax_and_semantics

> Just using your "Set ... to" idiom, rather than a
> regular = assignment, makes things much more wordy, without improving
> readability.

I think it does improve readability, especially for people who are not
very fluent mathematically.

Also, in Python how do you assign a symbolic equation to a variable?
Like this?

QuadraticEquation = a*x^2 + b*x + c = 0

Set statements avoid the confusion of multiple equal signs when
manipulating symbolic equations:

Set QuadraticEquation to a*x^2 + b*x + c = 0.