php vs python

Curtis zer0dyer at verizon.net
Mon May 26 19:28:01 EDT 2008

Paul Rubin wrote:
> notbob <notbob at nothome.com> writes:
>> Well, that's my actual question, then.  Is php really so bad I'm just
>> wasting my time?  Or is it really the quickest way to blog functionality?
>
> php is very easy to get started with and some big sites have been
> written in it.  There is lots of low cost php hosting available.  It
> is not as good a language as Python.  However, Python's advantages are
> strongest in more complex projects.  For simple stuff, php is frankly
> less hassle just because of its wide deployment and that extensive
> function library that the blog post your quoted described as a bad
> thing.  Python's libraries are not bad, but php's are more intensely
> focused on web apps and includes what you need as part of the standard
> build.  With Python, if you want a database adapter or web template
> framework, you have to choose between a bunch of different ones and
> download and configure it which often involves head scratching when
> the auto-install stuff hits some quirk of your system.  With php, it's
> all right there when you flip the switch.
>
> Knowing lots of languages is good for you.  php is probably your
> quickest route to getting a rudimentary web app running.  Python
> is a longer term project.  Do both.

PHP is more than capable for handling large projects, not just small
scripting jobs. However, Paul's right about PHP being more driven
toward web development, where as Python may be better for different
types of apps.

Even then, I think your first reply was best, it just comes down to
what you have more fun writing. Both languages are equally capable of
getting the job done.

--
Curtis