Newbie Question: How to use a .pth file on a Macintosh

Robbie robbie at fordpinto.com
Sat May 24 17:18:35 EDT 2008

Hello All,

Hopefully this is an easy question: I'd like to use a .pth file on my
Macintosh so that I can easily import modules that I've created in my
own working directory. I've created a file called Robbie.pth. It
includes a single line:
     /Robbie/PythonWork

I can't seem to figure out where to put this file so that Python will
recognize it when I start it up. I know that the path is correct
because if I do the command sys.path.append('/Robbie/PythonWork') then
everything works as expected. I just don't want to have to execute
this command every time I start Python.

I've looked at what's in sys.path, and have tried putting the file in
various of the directories listed, to no avail. I've also tried
putting it in the same directory where IDLE is (/Applications/
MacPython 2.5) and that doesn't work either.

What am I missing?

FYI I'm running MaxOS 10.4.8 and Python 2.5,

Thank you in advance for the help.

-Robbie