Compiling Python using Microsoft Visual C++ 2008

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon May 12 10:36:15 EDT 2008

> 1.I have both 2.5 and 2.6 but both appear, under Recent Projects, as
> pcbuild.  It would be helpful if the Python Version could be indicated.

Hover over the link, and it will display the full path, which you can
then infer to reason about the specific copy of Python you are using.

In any case, compiling Python 2.5 with VS 2008 is not supported.

> 2.With 2.6, Python compiles and executes OK but various packages are not
> compiled, eg sqlite3.

See PCbuild/readme.txt.

> 3.Pythonw compiles OK but not sqlite3.

So what's the error?

> 4.Mike Fletcher suggests an approach
> (http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/mstoolkit/) with Visual C for
> Python 2.4.  Is this still the recommended way to compile Python 2.6?

No. Either use the full product, or the express edition. Neither
requires and additional setup.

> 5.Python 2.5 source refers to an Older Visual C.  Automatic conversion
> to Visual C 2008 gives the message “Some of the properties associated
> with the solution could not be read.”  All projects except one had a
> single warning, there were no errors reported.
> 6.After conversion there is no python project, it is flagged “unavailable”.

See above. This procedure is not supported; you are on your own.
Get a copy of VS 2003 if you want to follow the official
recommendations.

> 7.Pythoncore builds with no errors and 6 warnings but there is no
> executable.
> 8.Python 2.5 build _tkinter fails – tcl.h not found.

See PCbuild/readme.txt.

Regards,
Martin