Using Python for programming algorithms

Vicent Giner vginer at gmail.com
Mon May 19 14:01:14 EDT 2008

Thank you very much for all the answers I've got.

As far as I have understood, Python can be a good alternative, or, at
least, a reasonable choice.

I intend to design new algorithms for a kind of Optimization problems,
and then I have to implement them and show/prove that they are good
enough, in terms of effectiveness (quality of the solution that the
algorithm is able to find, for some given "difficult" problems), and
not mainly in terms of efficiency (time to find the solution).

I mean, in order to prove that my algorithms are "good", I have to
compare them with the results given by other algorithms, in terms of
how much better is the solution given by my proposal, in front of the
previous ones. Only comparatives in terms of "number of iterations",
and not "time to find the solution", can be done (I think).

And I also realize, from your posted answers, that the point is doing
a good programming work, and that I will have to look very carefully
at all those packages and resources you have mentioned, to do a good
work at Python.

Any other suggestion will be welcomed.    :-)

Thank you very much again!

--
Vicent