License selection for free software

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Wed May 7 13:48:27 EDT 2008

Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> writes:

> original licence as well. Now, I did leave a fair amount of
> information about the heritage of the code, so that anyone who is
> scared of the LGPL could just go and get the original work, but that

I doubt anyone is really afraid of LGPL. The only problem with LGPL is
that of static vs. dynamic linking, and that is only a problem in
platforms without dynamic linker (rarity these days).

> You can almost never just "grab the code from somewhere without having
> to think about [the] license" since even permissive licences typically
> have a list of conditions that must be observed. Certainly, they

Yeah, but you don't have to "worry" about license - just have the
license text in source code, or a text file in binary distribution.