]ANN[ Vellum 0.16: Lots Of Documentation and Watching

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon May 5 17:36:46 EDT 2008

On 5 Mai, 20:26, vivai... at gmail.com (Ville M. Vainio) wrote:

> Basically, avoiding GPL maximizes the brainshare that a small-ish tool
> is going to attract, and many (including myself, FWIW) view GPL as a
> big turn-off when I consider spending some time to familiarize myself
> with a tool, or recommending it to someone else.

I'd like to cast a vote for the opposing camp: I'm probably more
likely to look at GPL-licensed code, although I recognise that I have
the benefit of not having anyone superior to me wanting to release
proprietary software. Applications and tools are ideal candidates for
GPL-licensing, although I also recognise that someone might want to
adapt the code for a library, and that they might not feel comfortable
with the copyleft aspects of the resulting licence on that library.

Anyway, I'm just confirming that I'm clearly not one of the "many"
described above. A lot of my own work is licensed under the GPL or
LGPL, and while I'd be the first to admit that not much of what I've
written is wildly popular, I think the reasons for not using it purely
because of the licences are typically overstated.

Paul