python without while and other "explosive" statements

Matt Nordhoff mnordhoff at mattnordhoff.com
Sun May 11 21:54:44 EDT 2008

ivo talvet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to have a python which not handle the execution of
> "while", "for", and other loop statements ? I would like to allow
> remote execution of python on a public irc channel, so i'm looking for
> techniques which would do so people won't be able to crash my computer
> (while 1: os.fork(1)), or at least won't won't freeze my python in a
> infinite loop, make it unresponsive. Is there a compiling option (or
> better, something i can get with apt-get cos i think compiling myself
> and handle all the metastuff myself is somehow dirty) for have a
> "secure python" (you can guess what i mean by "secure" in my case) or
> must i touch myself the source disable some code lines ? If last
> solution, which modifications in which files should i do ? (sorry for
> my bad english)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ivo

<http://codepad.org/> is a pastebin-like website that lets people upload
code in a dozen different languages, and it runs it. They have info up
about how it's secure at <http://codepad.org/about>.

I'm pretty sure there's another similar website that's specific to
Python, but I can't remember it. Anyway, it was similar, using virtual
machines, a firewall, and killing stuff that ran for longer than 20
seconds, IIRC.

(Thanks for the link to codepad, habnabit.)