Python is slow

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com`
Thu May 22 18:51:39 EDT 2008

cm_gui wrote:
> Python is slow.    Almost all of the web applications written in
> Python are slow.   Zope/Plone is slow, sloow, so very slooow.  Even
> Google Apps is not faster.   Neither is Youtube.
> Facebook and Wikipedia (Mediawiki), written in PHP, are so much faster
> than Python.
> Okay, they probably use caching or some code compilation -- but Google
> Apps and those Zope sites probably also use caching.
>
> I've yet to see a web application written in Python which is really
> fast.

You are just dead wrong about this.  Bad programmers will write slow software in
any language.  There are some HUGE sites using Zope.  I think much of Google's
software is written in Python.  I have programs that have surprised me with
their speed.  If your Python program is slow, you have almost assuredly
approached it with a wrong method or algorithm.  www.websafe.com is completely
written in Python and we support thousands of users uploading data
simultaneously at wire speed (and that includes AES-256 encryption on our end).

-Larry