Finally had to plonk google gorups.

Arnaud Delobelle arnodel at googlemail.com
Fri May 2 15:26:55 EDT 2008

Mensanator <mensanator at aol.com> writes:

> On May 2, 1:20 pm, Michael Torrie <torr... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Mensanator wrote:
>>
>> > Why don't you just block all messages from Gmail?
>>
>> Brilliant!  Seeing as he's asking about doing the filtering in Gmail
>> (implying it's use for his own posting and viewing the list) that would
>> work splendidly for him!  Or not.
>>
>> Of course you're not likely to see this message either since I and many
>> folks on here post from gmail.
>>
>> Spam comes mainly from Google Groups, not as much from Gmail in my
>> experience.
>
> I didn't say it was POSTED from gmail, but the spammers often have
> gmail addresses, to wit:

You're confusing gmail addresses and Google Groups
(groups.google.com), which can be used as a web interface to usenet
and mailing lists.  Look at the 'Organisation' header of the messages
you quote.

It seems most of the spam on comp.lang.python is posted from Google
Groups, *including* the one with a 'From' header which is not a gmail
address.

So it would be more efficient to block messages posted from Google
Groups than the ones from gmail addresses.

--
Arnaud