Reusing IDLE file editor

Russell Blau russblau at hotmail.com
Fri May 9 06:11:24 EDT 2008

I have a need for some simple text-editing capabilities in a Tkinter program, and it occurred to me that IDLE is a Tkinter app that already has what I need in its file editor windows.  I thought it would be nice if I could just use one of those windows as a widget in my application, in place of a plain Tkinter Text widget. I took a quick look at idlelib/EditorWindow.pyw, but it appears that the program is not written as a reusable widget; it's hard-coded to be a toplevel window.

Before I start hacking at it myself, has anyone else modified IDLE to be able to reuse its windows in another application?  Or, alternatively, is there another freely-available (under the Python license or something compatible) Tkinter widget out there that has similar text-editing capabilities?