multiple databases, what's the best interface ?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sun May 18 08:31:31 EDT 2008

On 2008-05-17 20:54, Stef Mientki wrote:
> hello,
>
> I need to switch fluently between 2 or 3 types of dbases:
> SQLite, Sybase ( and in the future MS SQL-server).
>
> I need both closed application and general purpose database manager,
> which should run on different platforms (windows, windows mobile, not
> web based).
>
> I would like to write the applications in Python.
> What's the best interface so I can use the same program for all databases,
> and just have to change the database name, if I want to use another
> database ?

If you need a common interface on all the platforms, then I'd suggest
you have a look at our mxODBC:

http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/

If you also need to support Windows Mobile, then you'll be interested
in our upcoming new product called "mxODBC Connect" which separates
the client from the server.

mxODBC Connect allows using the mxODBC API on platforms which don't
come with ODBC drivers or where getting ODBC drivers is difficult.
Due to it's client-server approach it also simplifies configuration
a lot.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 18 2008)