Python and Flaming Thunder

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Tue May 13 13:32:30 EDT 2008

Dave Parker schrieb:
>> Just to support this statement: PHP runs an order of magnitude slower than
>> python. Yet a great deal (if not the majority) of dynamic sites out there
>> run under PHP. All of these are unhappy customers?
>
> The websites owners might not be unhappy, but lots of customers
> complain about slow websites, so if the market is competitive then
> eventually the PHP fad will die out.

Slow websites mainly come from bad coding. I've seen websites performing
slow written in Java - which should even surpass FT, btw.

> For example, Slashdot recently interviewed a successful website in a
> competitive market -- online newspapers -- and found that to enhance
> customer happiness the New York Times uses hand-coded HTML.
>
> "He was asked how the Web site looks so consistently nice and polished
> no matter which browser or resolution is used to access it. His answer
> begins: 'It's our preference to use a text editor, like HomeSite,
> TextPad or TextMate, to "hand code" everything, rather than to use a
> wysiwyg (what you see is what you get) HTML and CSS authoring program,
> like Dreamweaver. We just find it yields better and faster results.'"
> http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/04/30/009245&from=rss

You obviously have no clue what this aboven statement talks about. It is
not about speed - it's about how HTML is generated, and the negative
impact of visual design tools on that. What on earth has that to do with
the execution speed of a webapp?

> "Faster" wins in a competitive market, so if a programming language
> can't deliver "faster", it is a fad that will die out.

"Faster" wins, yes - in the sense of brain-cycles. Faster coding, faster
changing, faster delivering. If it was anything else, we wouldn't have
higher level languages, and still code assembler.

You really don't know what you are talking about. But you are of course
entitled to your opininon. Time will tell who is the "fad", and who not.
I can assure you I have a strong opinion on that....

Diez