Please help - Tkinter not doing anything

s0suk3 at gmail.com s0suk3 at gmail.com
Sun May 4 07:18:22 EDT 2008

On May 4, 5:22 am, Protected <myshel... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I had previously ran the import line. I prepended it to the example
> code I'm trying to run every time but it did not help, still nothing
> happens. With or without var before 'root'. I'm pasting the code in
> IDLE and using Windows XP as written in the first post.

Tkinter doesn't work if you type the statements in IDLE. I don't
remember the specifics of it, but essentially it doesn't work because
IDLE is itself a Tkinter app. You have to type it at the Python
command line or save it in a file. BTW, if you're on Windows, you
should definitely check wxPython. I used to work with Tkinter,
struggling with it all the time only to get a lame result most of the
time. Then I switched to wxPython, and in the same week I was learning
it I did a better GUI than I ever did in Tkinter (with months of
work!). I feel it makes it easier to make your program have a better
structure and design, and thus lets you focus on the actual task of
the program, rather than in the GUI itself. Plus, on Windows, you'll
get the widgets to look more natively, like any good quality
application there is on Windows.