Python and Flaming Thunder

Dave Parker daveparker at flamingthunder.com
Wed May 21 12:11:13 EDT 2008

On May 21, 10:00 am, "Dan Upton" <up... at virginia.edu> wrote:

> Sounds to me like the teacher is being difficult, ...

No, proof-by-contradiction is a common technique in math.  If you can
show that x=8 and x=10, then you have shown that your assumptions were
incorrect.

> If you can't do, or don't like, math, you probably shouldn't be
> programming.

Why not?  Recipes are programs.  I prefer to look at it the other way:
an easy-to-use programming language might encourage more people to
like math.

> You keep trotting out this quadratic equation example, but does FT
> actually have any kind of useful equation solver in it?

Not yet, but it will.  Probably around July.