Learning Python and the Zen of the Mailing List

Dan Esch daniel.a.esch at gmail.com
Tue May 13 17:59:24 EDT 2008

I decided to learn Python.

I decided to learn Python because I hate visual basic for applications and I
can feel my brain shrink everytime I invoke that freaking macro editor.
It's bad enough that Mwfdg Q%$#@%soft <MwfdgQ%$#@%sft>  had to eliminate the
original simple keystroke macro tools that were enough for us
knuckle-dragging accounting types - oh no! - they had to replace that tool -
that we understood - with the most brain dead, useless, overwrought piece of
crap abuse of programming language.

This forced me to learn how to program.  As I learned how to program, I
learned that Visual Basic wasn't as bad as I thought - it was far, far, far
worse.... I went to Dartmouth, and, Bill, you harvard dropout, I'd like to
inform you that President Kemeny is spinning in his grave for the
perversions you have inflicted upon his undergraduate-teaching-tool
toy-language.

So I write little toy programs and try to wrap my head around real
object-oriented programming and and real algorithms and data structures and
design my scratch-my-own-itch application in my head while I study.

In the mean time, I lurk on this mailing list - I don't have any real
questions yet - but reading the questions and answers has been a great way
of tapping into the pythonic Zen - I don't know if anyone is a similar
situation to me, but I recommend just randomly browsing the mailing list as
a means of getting in tune with the rhythm and esthetics of the language

Dan