Does this path exist?

s0suk3 at gmail.com s0suk3 at gmail.com
Wed May 28 03:58:32 EDT 2008

I wanted to ask for ways to test whether a path exists. I usually use
os.path.exists(), which does a stat call on the path and returns True
if it succeeds, or False if it fails (catches os.error). But stat
calls don't fail only when a path doesn't exist. I see that, at least
on Windows, the instance of the exception has an attribute 'errno' set
to 2 when it fails because the path doesn't exist. Is it a portable
solution to rely on this (haven't tried it on Linux)? Are there other
ways of testing whether a path exists?

Thanks,
Sebastian