pydb remote debugging/cmd.Cmd over socket?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Wed May 28 11:15:07 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm fiddling around with pydb. Installation and usage are fine. What I
especially like is the fact that you can attach a signal such that you drop
into debugging mode on demand.

But this is of limited use to me in situations where a server is written in
python. According to the source, pydb's debugger class Gdb extends cmd.Cmd.

It passes stdin/stdout-arguments that should be usable to replace the
standard streams. But so far all my experiments simply dropped the process
into debugging mode putting out and getting io over stdin/stdout - not my
self-supplied streams.

So I wonder (being a bit rusty on my UNIX-piping-skillz): how does one do
that - essentially, create a remote python shell using cmd.Cmd?

Diez