C-like assignment expression?

boblatest at googlemail.com boblatest at googlemail.com
Wed May 21 09:12:13 EDT 2008

On May 21, 1:47 pm, Hrvoje Niksic <hnik... at xemacs.org> wrote:

> Although that solution is pretty, it is not the canonical solution
> because it doesn't cover the important case of "if" bodies needing to
> access common variables in the enclosing scope.  (This will be easier
> in Python 3 with 'nonlocal', though.)  The snippet posted by Diez is
> IMHO closer to a canonical solution to this FAQ.

Hello everybody,

thanks for the various answers. I'm actually pretty puzzled because I
expected to see some obvious solution that I just hadn't found before.
In general I find Python more elegant and syntactically richer than C
(that's where I come from), so I didn't expect the solutions to be a
lot more verbose and/or ugly (no offense) than the original idea which
would have worked if Python's assignment statement would double as
expression, as in C.

Thanks again,
robert

PS: Since I'm testing only three REs, and I only need the match
results from one of them, I just re-evaluate that one.