Python, Daemons and D-Bus

PurpleServerMonkey PurpleServerMonkey at gmail.com
Sat May 24 05:38:00 EDT 2008

Seeking feedback from group members on a design I'm looking at using
in a project.

I've created an XML-RPC server and a number of Daemons, the idea is
that the XML-RPC server gets a request from a user interface of some
sort and then sends data to the Daemon processes to do work. Daemons
will also need to feed back task information to the XML-RPC server.

For the communications between the Daemons and XML-RPC server I was
thinking of using D-Bus (The project is for Linux and *BSD) but wanted
to hear what others thought of the idea?

Would you use D-Bus or a more traditional IPC method such as sockets?
Although D-Bus is relatively new it looks interesting, just not sure
it would work well in this kind of project.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.