Performance of Python builtins

miller.paul.w at gmail.com miller.paul.w at gmail.com
Sun May 25 19:19:37 EDT 2008

Is there any place outside the actual C source for Python that has
information about the performance of Python's built-in operations? For
example, I'd *expect* list.append to be O(1), and I hope that list[i]
is O(1), but I don't really know that for sure, since it would depend
a lot on the internal implementation.

I'm really only asking this for curiosity's sake --- more as a
reasonable, non-trollish version of the "Python is slow" post than
anything. :-)  I've never really had any problems with the performance
of Python code that I couldn't solve by either changing my algorithm
or, if all else has truly failed, rewriting in C or Pyrex.

What I'd like to see is something like http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk/Objects/listsort.txt
where Python's sorting algorithm is described, except with the focus
on other built-in constructs.

Thanks!