Using Python to verify streaming tv/radio station links

donnyf at gmail.com donnyf at gmail.com
Thu May 8 21:34:06 EDT 2008

On Apr 29, 10:11 am, alexel... at gmail.com wrote:
> Hey!
>
> With regards checking feeds, look into urllib (maybe) and the httplib
> (definitely). They /could/ offer some sort of information regarding
> the activity of your feeds. Without knowing anything about the
> streaming protocols I wouldn't suggest my methods to necessarily be
> the most helpful. You could, at least [maybe], establish whether a
> feed is active if it can return a HTTP 200 response. If that's a
> sufficient check I would suggest that httplib is the place to start.
>
> Alex.

Thanks for the reply.  I'm not so sure that httplib is going to work
as most of these are not http urls.  Here's a handful of examples that
maybe someone could use to give me an idea of how to accomplish what
I'm trying to do.

Here's a list of the various types of media links I have in my
database (all working):

http://www.dradio.de/streaming/dkultur_hq_ogg.m3u
http://200.29.92.21/ucvtv
http://www.ampmedia.org/asx/marina25.asx
http://www.jazz.fm/streaming/JAZZFM91.pls
mms://144.122.56.15/ODTU-TV
rtsp://200.79.7.137/broadcast/tv.rm

The httplib approach may work the http urls, but what about the mms
and rsp 'protocols'?

Please remember that I only know enough to be dangerous and that I'm
much more a hacker than I am a programmer.  As always, any help is
greatly appreciated!