Not able to get utf8 encoded string into a document

Lawrence, Anna K (US SSA) anna.k.lawrence at baesystems.com
Fri May 9 14:33:31 EDT 2008

Hi all,

This is my first post and I'm really at a loss for how to fix my
problem, so I really hope someone can help me out.

I am working on a web application using Pylons .0.9.6, SQLAlchemy 0.4.4,
MySQLdb 1.2.2 and Python 2.4.4.

We want to use utf8 encoding throughout and as far as I can see
everything is set properly between components and I've got a
sitecustomize.py in my site-packages directory of python set to utf8 as
well.  Everything is stored properly in the database and displays nicely
in the app.  However, when I try to take a string that is coming out of
the database and export it to a Word document, no amount of
encoding/decoding will make the Word doc display properly.

Since I'm on a Windows machine, my default locale is cp437.  Is this the
reason?

Is there something that needs to be set that I'm missing?  Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Anna