anagram finder / dict mapping question

dave squareswallower at 1ya2hoo3.net
Wed May 7 21:02:12 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I wrote a program that takes a string sequence and finds all the words
inside a text file (one word per line) and prints them:

def anagfind(letters): 	#find anagrams of these letters
	fin = open('text.txt')	#one word per line file
	wordbox = []		 #this is where the words will go
	for line in fin:
		word = line.strip()
		count = 0
		for char in letters:
			if char not in word:
				break
			else:
				count += 1
			if count == len(word):
				wordbox.append(word)
	return wordbox

Now I'd like to modify the code to naturally find all anagrams inside a
wordlist.  What would be the best way to do this?  Using Hints?  Is it
possible to iterate over dict keys?  How can I make a dict that maps
from a set of letters to a list of words that are spelled from those
letters?  Wouldn't I need to make the set of letters a key in a dict?

As always - Thanks for helping someone trying to learn...

Dave