where do I begin with web programming in python?

Graham Dumpleton Graham.Dumpleton at gmail.com
Thu May 1 19:13:57 EDT 2008

On May 2, 7:45 am, Christian Heimes <li... at cheimes.de> wrote:
> jmDesktop schrieb:
>
> > I have been to the main python site, but am still confused.  I have
> > been using .net, so it may be obvious how to do this to everyone
> > else.  I am aware there are various frameworks (Django, Pylons, etc.),
> > but I would like to know how to create web pages without these.  If I
> > havemod_pythonor fastcgi on apache, where do I start?  I don't have
> > clue where to begin to create a web page from scratch in python.  I am
> > sure I will want to access database, etc., all the "normal" stuff, I
> > just want to do it myself as opposed to the frameworks, for learning.
>
> I highly recommend WSGI instead ofmod_pythonor (fast)cgi. I've heard
> only bad things aboutmod_pythonover the past years and CGI is totally
> old school.
>
> Check out Python Paste, CherryPy and Django. You can also try the Zope,
> Zope3 and Plone world but Zope is usually for larger and complex
> applications.
>
> Most frameworks come with their own little web server for development, too.

I'd also suggest avoiding coding anything directly to mod_python and
instead base things on WSGI. You can still run it on mod_python with a
suitable adapter, but you can also run it with mod_wsgi, mod_fastcgi,
or using pure Python web servers such as the one in Paste as well.

For a low level nuts and bolts (anti framework) approach I'd suggest
looking at:

  http://dev.pocoo.org/projects/werkzeug/

This gives you all the basic components, but it is really up to you as
to how you put them together, which seems to be what you want to be
able to do.

Graham