how to pass a python socket to a .dll?

inhahe inhahe at gmail.com
Tue May 13 11:48:26 EDT 2008

i'm trying to make a .dll that will let me use WSAPoll, which is a windows
sockets function, to mimic select.poll on a windows box.  i cbb learning
python extensions, so i'm just going to use ctypes with a dll, so I hope
that it doesn't bring up a big performance issue.   anyway, the problem is
that I want to use Python-created sockets with it, but WSAPoll requires
winsock2.h SOCKET objects.

so unless someone can tell me how to create/reference a windows socket
object using the winsock2 lib from just a file/socket descriptor (being that
this isn't a windows programming forum), i'm just asking how I could gain
access to the actual Windows socket associated with a Python socket that
Python for Windows has to store somewhere.  even if I have to modify
socketmodule.c.

btw, i don't know much about this stuff, i hardly ever even program in c++,
so i hope anybody's not too cryptic :P