Do any of you recommend Python as a first programming language?

Paul Rubin http
Sun Mar 23 02:09:07 EDT 2008

John Nagle <nagle at animats.com> writes:
>      What a mess.  That's some professor inventing his very own variation on
> predicate calculus and writing a book using his own notation and terminology.

I thought it was all pretty standard.  It's the same notation I see in
other PL stuff.

> There's no sign of footnotes or references to prior work.

Maybe he'll add that.  It's a work in progress.

>      Back when I was doing program verification work, we used to refer to
> stuff like that as the "logic of the month club".

I thought the book was pretty good and I've learned quite a bit from
the parts I've read.  Also, the author is one of the big cheeses in
the SML world, if that matters.