Why prefer != over <> for Python 3.0?

hdante hdante at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 17:18:44 EDT 2008

On Mar 30, 3:14 pm, Lie <Lie.1... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 30, 12:11 pm, hdante <hda... at gmail.com> wrote:
> (snip)
>
> >  BTW, my opinion is that it's already time that programmer editors
> > have input methods advanced enough for generating this:
>
> > if x ≠ 0:
> >     ∀y ∈ s:
> >         if y ≥ 0: f1(y)
> >         else: f2(y)
>
> That would be a nightmare.
>
> Programming language (or most computer-based texts) should only use
> basic ASCII characters, except if it can't be helped since typing non-

 I completely disagree. Unicode should be used whenever the
architecture doesn't have memory restrictions. For general
(plain-)text there's no sense in talking about ASCII. The only
language that "fits" in it that I can remember is Latin.

> ASCII characters is still unreliable. It'd also be a headache to
> memorize what keyboard combinations to use to type a character. Not to

 You'd have to memorize, for example "!=" and ">=".

> mention how much more complex would the keyboard design be. Also not

 The keyboard would be the same.

> mentioning how much more complex the language design would be to
> handle all those non-ASCII characters.

 Wrong.