What Programming Languages Should You Learn Next?

Bryan Olson fakeaddress at nowhere.org
Fri Mar 21 08:31:08 EDT 2008

wesley chun wrote:
> http://it.slashdot.org/it/08/03/18/1633229.shtml
>
> it was surprising and disappointing that Python was not mentioned
> *anywhere* in that article but when someone replied, it sparked a long
> thread of post-discussion.

What I found disappointing was how many people thought they
should be answering the question rather than asking it.

I'm good with a number of popular languages, and I can talk
knowledgeably and BS-free about many more. In grad school,
I had an instructor who is a real programming language
expert. Listening to his lectures was sometimes a bit like
watching ESPN show the world championship of a game at
which I usually beat my friends.  There are levels beyond
levels beyond my level. And I'm a pro.

It is to the shame of my alma mater that they denied
tenure to Dr. Sasaki.

--
--Bryan