Python 2.5 - Build Error on Windows because of SQLite3

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Fri Mar 28 17:24:26 EDT 2008

llothar wrote:
> Why does Python2.5 do not include the amalgamation source code of
> sqlite3? [...]

First, at the time Python grew the sqlite3 module, there was no
amalgamation yet.

My reasoning:

So that Python doesn't need to release a security release, should a
security bug in SQLite be found. Users can then download the new DLL
from the SQLite homepage and place it into their Python's DLL folder.

Ok, in reality that's probably only true for x86 Windows, not IA64
and/or AMD64 ;-)

OTOH it would save me and the Python team some effort if we bundled a
specific SQLite amalgamation with Python. Bug reports about bit-rotten
SQLite 3.x versions would then not appear :-P

Nowadays we support SQLite 3.0.8 through the very latest one. That means
quite a few #ifdefs and friends in the C source code and also in the
unit tests.

-- Gerhard