Removal of tkinter from python 3.0? [was: Fate of the repr module in Py3.0]

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Mar 20 09:11:41 EDT 2008

Paul Rubin:
> Python needs more stuff in its stdlib, not less.
> If Tkinter doesn't satisfy, then add Gtk (or whatever) to the standard
> distro.  If that happens (i.e. some new toolkit is brought in and
> declared to be the standard) then it might be ok to drop Tkinter but
> it certainly shouldn't be dropped without a replacement.

If Tkinter is removed from the std lib, then I think another simple
GUI toolkit has to be added to replace it. I have appreciated Wax in
the past, it works with Wx and is rather easy. It's a dead software
now, but it can be improved. It can be almost as easy as Tk, and it
shows that Wx can be used with a much better API. Something like
gazpacho (http://gazpacho.sicem.biz/ ) can be created for Wax too, and
it can be added to the std lib.

Bye,
bearophile