Pycon disappointment

Aaron Watters aaron.watters at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 09:38:19 EDT 2008

On Mar 18, 12:55 pm, perrygreenfi... at gmail.com wrote:
> Amen on the diamond keynotes and lightning talks. The lightning talks
> were a great disappointment. Sponsor talks (or any such talks pitched
> at selling or recruiting) should go in their own, clearly labeled
> group so those of us who don't care about them can avoid them...

Seconded.  I haven't been at a Python Conf for a long time
but as a former attendee and (not very good) organizer I
have a couple suggestions based on my past experience and
mistakes:

- The conference is too long and it shouldn't be on the weekend.

- Almost all talks should be 10 minutes at most
  with prepared slides and extended abstract with references.

- With much shorter talks you should be able to accept just about any
  properly prepared talk (with abstract and slides) and this
  should reduce the politics and increase the attendance (with
  speakers and some colleagues and maybe broader interest).

I don't know about this conference, but in past conferences
I've been frustrated by people who give out a train of
conscience meander including popping in and out of various console
prompts, editors, web pages, guis... without conveying any useful
information (to me) in 30 minutes.  If you tell them they have
10 minutes and make them get organized in advanced
they are much more likely to get to the point and
everyone can see something else before they run out of
attention span.

   -- Aaron Watters

===
bye bye petroleum!  good riddance.