Time Zone application after strptime?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Mar 12 15:51:09 EDT 2008

Jim Carroll wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg <mal <at> egenix.com> writes:
>
>> On 2008-03-07 22:24, Jim Carroll wrote:
>>> It's taken me a couple of hours to give up on strptime
>>> with %Z for recognizing
>>> time zones... but that still leaves me in the wrong zone:
>>>
>>> How can I use the "PST" (or any other time zone name)
>>> to adjust dt by the
>>> correct number of hours to get it into UTC before storing in MySQL?
>> You could try mxDateTime's parser. It will convert most timezones
>> into UTC for you:
>>
>>  >>> from mx.DateTime import *
>>  >>> DateTimeFrom('10:29:52 PST, Feb 29, 2008')
>> <mx.DateTime.DateTime object for '2008-02-29 18:29:52.
>> 00' at 2afdc7078f50>
>>

> Unfortunately, mx.DateTime also ignores the time zone.  If
> I parse the PST time, and ask for the result's time zone it
> gives me my local time zone.

The result of the mxDateTime parser will always be UTC, if you
provide a time zone. You can then convert this value to any other
timezone you choose.

The reason for this is simple: UTC is the only stable timezone
you can use if you want to store date/time value in e.g. a
database or file.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 10 2003)