what does ^ do in python

Dan Stromberg dstromberglists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 15:52:42 EDT 2008

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:45:34 +0100, Heiko Wundram wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 26. März 2008 19:04:44 schrieb David Anderson:
>> HOw can we use express pointers as in C or python?
>
> There's no such thing as a pointer in Python, so you can't "express"
> them either. Was this what you were trying to ask?

Strictly speaking, many objects are passed by reference, which is kind of
pointer-like, even though it doesn't expose the true messiness of a true
pointer.

Also strictly speaking, if you use SWIG, it can wrap up pointers from
other languages as a python object to be passed around within a python
program.