Passing function objects to timeit

George Sakkis george.sakkis at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 09:29:27 EDT 2008

On Mar 31, 6:15 am, Peter Otten <__pete... at web.de> wrote:
> George Sakkis wrote:

> >> [snip]
>
> >> Maybe the following enhancement of timeit would be worthwhile?
>
> > [snip]
>
> > That would be great. I sometimes avoid timeit altogether because
> > setting up the environment is so cumbersome. Can you post the patch to
> > bugs.python.org so it doesn't get lost ?
>
> Looking into
>
> http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk/Lib/timeit.py?rev=54953&view=...
>
> I discovered that the Python developers took a different approach and timeit
> now allows callables for setup and statement:

> 42
> [3.3855438232421875e-05]
>
> So my patch is probably a case of instant obsolescence...
>
> Peter

I'm afraid that the taken approach is worse than your patch. For one
thing, it allows only zero-arg functions. Of course one can work
around it by passing "lambda: f(...)" but that's adding extra overhead
which can be measurable for small fast functions. Even if passing
*args and **kwds to a Timer is allowed, that's still going to be
slower (because of tuple unpacking and whatnot) as Steven's attempt
above showed.

I think it's at least worth bringing this to the attention of the
developers.

George