Is subprocess.Popen completely broken?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu Mar 27 11:49:43 EDT 2008

    >> Why should I need to set shell=True?  I'm not globbing anything.  The
    >> second case still fails:

    Jerry> RTFM

Thank you.  I had.  The bits about the type of the args parameter don't
mention the shell parameter or that there was any difference between using
strings or lists.  I missed the reasoning in the discussion on the shell
parameter.  I think the subprocess module docs probably need some rework.

In general, I understand that having a bunch of different ways to execute
subprocesses can be confusing.  The swiss army knife approach used in the
subprocess module is also problematic.

Skip