Python regex

Adonis Vargas adonis_vargas at -Remove-This-bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 13 19:46:04 EDT 2008

Andrew Rekdal < wrote:
> I hope posting is ok here for this question...
>
> I am attempting to extract the text from a CSS comment using 're' such as...
>
> string = "/* CSS comment /*"
> exp = "[^(/*)].*[^(*/)] "
>
> p = re.compile(exp)
> q = p.search(string)
> r = q.group()
>
> print r
>
>>> CSS comment
>
> although this works to a degree... I know the within the brackets everything
> is taken literally so the pattern
> I am to negating is "(/*)". ie. includes the parenthesis.
>
> So my question is...
>
> Is there a way to negate a pattern that is more than on character long? eg.
> where rather than saying if forward slash OR astrisk appear..negate.
>
> I would be saying if parenthesis AND asterisk appear in this order... negate
>

> -- Andrew

Have you looked into this library:

http://cthedot.de/cssutils/

May help you, if you are trying to achieve something. If your doing it
as an exercise then I can not help you, I avoid regex like the plague
(but thats just me).

Hope this helps.

Adonis Vargas