Any fancy grep utility replacements out there?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 18:16:30 EDT 2008

samslists at gmail.com wrote:
> So I need to recursively grep a bunch of gzipped files.  This can't be
> easily done with grep, rgrep or zgrep.  (I'm sure given the right
> pipeline including using the find command it could be done....but
> seems like a hassle).
>
> So I figured I'd find a fancy next generation grep tool.  Thirty
> minutes of searching later I find a bunch in Perl, and even one in
> Ruby.  But I can't find anything that interesting or up to date for
> Python.  Does anyone know of something?

I have a grep-like utility I call "grin". I wrote it mostly to recursively grep
SVN source trees while ignoring the garbage under the .svn/ directories and more
or less do exactly what I need most frequently without configuration. It could
easily be extended to open gzip files with GzipFile.

   https://svn.enthought.com/svn/sandbox/grin/trunk/

Let me know if you have any requests.

--
Robert Kern