Summary of threading for experienced non-Python programmers?

Hrvoje Niksic hniksic at xemacs.org
Sun Mar 30 16:11:43 EDT 2008

"Diez B. Roggisch" <deets at nospam.web.de> writes:

>> Note that I said "*file* input/output".  Twisted and asyncore are
>> about asynchronous socket programming that polls over nonblocking file
>> descriptors such as found in socket programming, not about wrapping
>> aio(3) and the equivalent Windows APIs.
>
> I admit glossing over the file-input - however this is available on
> posix-systems using the select-module.

I believe you stil misunderstand.  The select module doesn't provide
an inteface to aio(3).  It provides an interface to select() and
poll() system calls, which don't provide asynchronous access to
regular files.

> So if I were in nitpicking-mood, your assertion still would be false

I invite constructive nitpicking, but you are completely missing the
point.  You are confusing aio(3) with select and poll.

> I'm pretty sure though that tiwsted & asynchore don't poll, but
> instead use the select-module. Which at least for unix (and AFAIK
> for Windows as well) is asynchronous - you get notified if data
> arrives or has been transmitted, and otherwise your process sleeps.

Unfortunately, this is not the case for files at all, even on Unix.
(On Windows, select doesn't work on files at all, it only accepts
sockets.)