GUI toolkits with Tkinter's .pack() alternative

Guilherme Polo ggpolo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 06:05:16 EDT 2008

2008/3/26, Alex9968 <noname9968 at gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
>
>  I use Tkinter's Pack widget geometry manager (I really prefer it over
>  using visual GUI designers), so my question is which other GUI toolkits
>  have similar functionality.

The geometry manager isn't related to using GUI designers tools at
all. And each toolkit has it's own way to do the things, wxPython uses
sizers, PyGtk uses containers.

>  Secondly, I like the detailed widget borders configuration possible in
>  Tkinter, which can be used to tweak GUI look, and wonder if other
>  toolkits support it. With Tkinter's case, I like the resulting (tweaked)
>  look in Windows, but I'm afraid it can be quite different (and ugly) on
>  other platforms.

You sure can, but differently.

>  (The reason I ever consider moving from Tkinter is some inconveniences,
>  involving for example window scrolling, plus its smaller amount of
>  widgets compared to some other toolkits, plus its (rumored) ugly look on
>  certain environments. I will not necessary change the toolkit, but I
>  have to consider it)

I'm planning to "solve" this, I'm suggesting inclusion of Ttk into
Tkinter for upcoming GSoC. For now you could try using Tile extension,
and update to Tk 8.5. If you don't want to use extensions, then you
will have to wait or change the toolkit for now.

>  Could anyone with experience in different toolkits help, please
>
>  Thanks
>
> --

-- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves