os.path.isdir question

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Sat Mar 15 22:37:56 EDT 2008

On Mar 16, 12:12 pm, lampshade <mwolff... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having some problems with  os.path.isdir  I think it is something
> simple that I'm overlooking.
>
> #!/usr/bin/python
> import os
>
> my_path = os.path.expanduser("~/pictures/")
> print my_path
> results = os.listdir(my_path)
> for a_result in results:
>     if os.path.isdir(str(my_path) + str(a_result)):

Not parts of the problem, but:
(1) you don't need to use str() here.
(2) use os.path.join instead of the + operator, if you are interested
in portable code.

>         results.remove(a_result)
>
> for x in results: print x
>
> The problem is, that the directories are never removed.  Can anyone
> point out what I'm missing that is causing the bug?  Is there a better
> way of doing this?
>
> Thanks,

You are removing directory *NAMES* from the container named "results".
If you want to remove the directories from your filesystem, use
os.rmdir.