Installing simplejson issues

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Sat Mar 29 21:39:25 EDT 2008

En Sat, 29 Mar 2008 19:45:09 -0300, Diez B. Roggisch <deets at nospam.web.de>
escribió:

>> I suggest that you remove the simplejson-xxxxxx.egg file and delete the
>> simplejson entry in easy-install.pth (both in your site-packages
>> directory)
>> Then extract the simplejson directory from inside the original .tar.gz
>> archive into your site-packages directory (so you end up by example with
>> a .../site-packages/simplejson/decoder.py file, among others)
>> That appears to be enough; import simplejson worked fine for me.
>>
>> I hate those f****ng eggs. Ah, and I hate easy_install too.
>
> This has nothing to do with setuptools or easy_install per se. The
> author of simplejson tried to create a library that works with or
> without a C-extension. And failed.

I think that the whole approach is doomed to fail; trying to do things
more complicated that they should be.
The pure-python part of simplejson is just a package. Copying the
directory into site-packages is *ALL* that is required; distutils can do
that perfectly. That's all folks!. A database or registry keeping track of
installed product versions might be useful, too. Anything that does much
more than that is just looking for problems; simple systems work better
than complex ones.
In this case, there is no need to create an egg, no need to play with .pth
files, no need to slow down the package at import time (eggs must be
decompressed), no need to extend sys.path and slow down *all* other
imports. I don't feel that anything is better by using eggs or
easy_install, and at least for me, they always have given more problems
than answers.
So, again, I hate eggs and easy_install. And I hate eggplants too.

--
Gabriel Genellina