Regarding coding style

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven asmodai at in-nomine.org
Fri Mar 7 13:24:18 EST 2008

-On [20080307 19:10], D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy at druid.net) wrote:
>The arguments for one over the other fall into these basic ones.  Use
>double spaces to make the document easier to read, especially by people
>who read a lot and tend to skim to absorb as much information as
>possible.  Use single space because it makes the document display
>nicer.  This suggests to me that the schism is probably between two
>different types of people, text/information oriented and
>display/presentation oriented.  I don't see any way to appeal to both.

The double space came from the era of typewriters and monospace printers.
Technology nowadays with all kinds of rendering engines and font
specifications basically make the entire point of 'two spaces after a
period' a moot point.

In all my professional technical writing and documentation work I completely
gave up on two spaces after a period. It's archaic.

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/
When you are right, you cannot be too radical; When you are wrong, you
cannot be too conservative.