finding euclidean distance,better code?

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Sat Mar 29 09:03:05 EDT 2008

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> Wikipedia doesn't believe that M-D is the primary or most common name,
> and the link you give redirects to "Taxicab distance". Googlefight
> agrees: "Taxicab distance" is more than twice as common, and "rectilinear
> distance" more than five times as common.

Could it be that there are many documents containing both taxicab and
distance that have nothing to do with the "taxicab distance"? Searching
with quotes around the search term google advertises

about 936 results for "taxicab distance"
6930 for "rectilinear distance"
38200 for "manhattan distance"

> The very name is New York-centric, just as much as if the English called
> the science of acoustics "Big-Ben-onics" in reference to the peals of Big
> Ben's clock. I had thought I had pointed that out with a little gentle
> understatement.

Whether you like a term and agree with its (alleged) bias or if it's in
common use are two different questions.

I think Robert addressed the latter while your answer implied the former.

Peter