wxPython/wxWidgets ok for production use ?

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 15:27:39 EDT 2008

Stefan Behnel wrote:
> Malcolm Greene wrote:
>
>>> My personal experience with wxPython has its ups and downs. Specifically
>>> when it comes to crashes, I wouldn't bet my life on it.
>>>
>> I'm new to Python and getting ready to build a small client based
>> application intended to run on Windows and Linux. I was planning on using
>> wxPython until I saw your comment above.
>>

> Just to make this sound a bit less like FUD: my last experience with wxPython
> dates back a couple of years (2004/5?), but back then, we used BoaConstructor
> in a project, which crashed a bit too often to do real work with it - and with
> crashing I mean crashing Python, not just showing us its blank traceback. So
> this was definitely a problem either in wxWindows or in wxPython.
>
> I have no idea how well it works today, but this has definitely forged my
> opinion on wxPython.

I'm using wxPython for half a year now, and building quit a large /
heavy GUI with it.
And although it's not so easy as Delphi, it's certainly just as stable
as Delphi.

If you're talking about Boa, that's a completely different story,
I tried it on 3 different machines, and couldn't get it working on any
of them.
I think Boa / Dabo / .. are basically good ideas to make programming
wxPython more easy,
and probably a lot of people invested a lot of their free time in the
product with the best intentions,
but unfortunately these programs are not ready for use by others
(specially not for windows users).

I'ld suggest that you download the wxPython demo (with interactive
editor) and see for yourself.

cheers,
Stef