Deleting Microsoft access database

Michael Wieher michael.wieher at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 10:18:27 EDT 2008

Are you going to be replacing it with a new database?

Problem: Users are accessing the file.  (as you said, users are opening in
read-only)
Solution: (assuming you will be using a new, better... anything is better
than M$, database) --- put the new database online, redirect your users to
hit the new database, once all connections are closed, delete the Access
database.
Alternate Solution: (if you aren't replacing it) Just turn the database
server off (that will kill any connections) and delete the database, or at
least disable that database from within the server itself (thus closing all
connections) and delete it.

Read only or not, the DB is still open, and can't be deleted while people
are connected.