urllib2.unquote() vs unicode

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Mar 18 02:24:34 EDT 2008

On 18 mar, 02:20, Maciej Bliziński <maciej.blizin... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been hit by a urllib2.unquote() issue. Consider the following
> unit test:
>
> import unittest
> import urllib2
>
> class UnquoteUnitTest(unittest.TestCase):
>
>    def setUp(self):
>        self.utxt = u'%C4%99'
>        self.stxt = '%C4%99'
>
>    def testEq(self):
>        self.assertEqual(
>                self.utxt,
>                self.stxt)
>
>    def testStrEq(self):
>        self.assertEqual(
>                str(self.utxt),
>                str(self.stxt))
>
>    def testUnicodeEq(self):
>        self.assertEqual(
>                unicode(self.utxt),
>                unicode(self.stxt))
>
>    def testUnquote(self):
>        self.assertEqual(
>                urllib2.unquote(self.utxt),
>                urllib2.unquote(self.stxt))
>
>    def testUnquoteStr(self):
>        self.assertEqual(
>                urllib2.unquote(str(self.utxt)),
>                urllib2.unquote(str(self.stxt)))
>
>    def testUnquoteUnicode(self):
>        self.assertEqual(
>                urllib2.unquote(unicode(self.utxt)),
>                urllib2.unquote(unicode(self.stxt)))
>
> if __name__ == '__main__':
>    unittest.main()
>
> The three testEq*() tests positively confirm that the two are equal,
> they are the same, they are also the same if cast both to str or
> unicode. Tests with unquote() called with utxt and stxt cast into str
> or unicode are also successful. However...
>
> ...E..
> ERROR: testUnquote (__main__.UnquoteUnitTest)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "unquote.py", line 28, in testUnquote
>    urllib2.unquote(self.stxt))
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/unittest.py", line 332, in failUnlessEqual
>    if not first == second:
> UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc4 in position
> 0: ordinal not in range(128)

> Ran 6 tests in 0.001s
>
> FAILED (errors=1)
>
> Why does this test fail while others are successful? Any ideas?

Both utxt and stxt consist exclusively of ASCII characters, so the
default ASCII encoding works fine.
When both are converted to unicode, or both are converted to string,
and then "unquoted", the resulting objects are again both unicode or
both strings, and compare without problem (even if they can't be
represented in ASCII at this stage).
In testUnquote, after "unquoting", you have non ASCII chars, both
string and unicode, and it fails to convert both to the same type to
compare them.

--
Gabriel Genellina