a Roguelike in Python

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 12:23:26 EDT 2008

On Mar 12, 9:25 am, Mdo... at gmail.com wrote:
> Seeing the 7DRL start up recently, i wanted to see what one was made
> of. Python is the language i'm most familiar with so i searched for
> some code to look at, but i couldn't find any. Can anyone direct me to
> the right place?
>
> I did some searching on what it would take to write a roguelike in
> python and it looked like the curses module would work perfectly, but
> it looks to me like it doesn't work in windows? I tried to import it
> and it says 'No Module named _curses'
>
> Sorry if all this sounds a bit noobish, it's only cause i am.

Correct, curses is not provided on the Windows platform.  I recall
that there were some third party attempts to implement curses
functionality on Windows; try Googling for it.

Even though it's typically used for graphical games, PyGame would be a
good way to make a cross-platform "text-mode" game.  It should be
pretty straightforward to simulate a text mode terminal using a grid
of sprites. (There might even be some third-party text terminals out
there.)

Carl Banks