Some notes on a high-performance Python application.

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Wed Mar 26 20:03:49 EDT 2008

Heiko Wundram wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 26. März 2008 18:54:29 schrieb Michael Ströder:
>> Heiko Wundram wrote:
>>> Am Mittwoch, 26. März 2008 17:33:43 schrieb John Nagle:

> I didn't say it was unusual or frowned upon (and I was also taught this at uni
> IIRC as a means to "easily" distribute systems which don't have specific
> requirements for response time to RPC requests), but anyway, as you noted for
> Biztalk, it's much easier to hit bottlenecks with a polling-style RPC than
> with a "true" RPC system, as I've come to experience when the number of nodes
> (i.e., backends) grew over the last year and a half.

     I know, I don't like the polling either.  The time scale is
such that the poll delay isn't a problem, though, and because it's
using the MySQL MEMORY engine, there's no disk I/O.  After completing
a request, the rating scheduler immediately queries the database,
so there's no lost time if there's a queue.  The polling delay
only applies when a rating server is idle.

     I miss QNX, which has good message passing primitives.
Linux is weak in that area.

				John Nagle